Tentative Board Decisions
Tentative Board decisions are provided for those interested in following the Board’s deliberations. All of the reported decisions are tentative and may be changed at future Board meetings.
Pensions and Other Postretirement Benefits: Presentation and Disclosure.
- Agenda Decision: Improving the Presentation of Net Periodic Pension Cost and Net Periodic Postretirement Benefit Cost. The Board discussed staff research and analysis of potential improvements to the presentation of net benefit cost (including costs of both pension and other postretirement benefit plans) and directed the staff to conduct further analysis on modified alternatives discussed at the meeting. The Board made no technical decisions.
- Disclosure Framework: Disclosure Review—Defined Benefit Plans. The Board discussed potential modifications to disclosure requirements for defined benefit plans in employers’ financial statements based on outreach and the proposed FASB Concepts Statement, Conceptual Framework for Financial Reporting—Chapter 8: Notes to Financial Statements. The Board made no technical decisions.
Financial Instruments: Hedging. The Board continued redeliberating the May 2010 proposed Accounting Standards Update, Accounting for Financial Instruments and Revisions to the Accounting for Derivative Instruments and Hedging Activities—Financial Instruments (Topic 825) and Derivatives and Hedging (Topic 815).
The Board discussed the following issues:
- Presentation of hedge ineffectiveness
- Disclosures related to cumulative-basis adjustments in fair value hedges
- Tabular disclosures about the effect of hedge accounting on statement(s) of financial performance line items
- Hedge documentation requirements.