ACCOUNTING STANDARDS UPDATE NO. 2016-02, LEASES (TOPIC 842)
On February 25, 2016, the FASB issued Accounting Standards Update No. 2016-02, Leases (Topic 842). The new guidance establishes the principles to report transparent and economically neutral information about the assets and liabilities that arise from leases.
To that end, the new guidance:
- Results in a more faithful representation of the rights and obligations arising from leases by requiring lessees to recognize the lease assets and lease liabilities that arise from leases in the statement of financial position and to disclose qualitative and quantitative information about lease transactions, such as information about variable lease payments and options to renew and terminate leases.
- Results in fewer opportunities for organizations to structure leasing transactions to achieve a particular accounting outcome on the statement of financial position.
- Improves understanding and comparability of lessees’ financial commitments regardless of the manner they choose to finance the assets used in their businesses.
- Aligns lessor accounting and sale and leaseback transactions guidance more closely to comparable guidance in Topic 606, Revenue from Contracts with Customers, and Topic 610, Other Income.
- Provides users of financial statements with additional information about lessors’ leasing activities and lessors’ exposure to credit and asset risk as a result of leasing.
- Clarifies the definition of a lease to address practice issues that were raised about the previous definition of a lease and to align the concept of control, as it is used in the definition of a lease, more closely with the control principle in both Topic 606, and Topic 810, Consolidation.
- Leases of intangible assets (see Topic 350, Intangibles—Goodwill and Other).
- Leases to explore for or use minerals, oil, natural gas, and similar nonregenerative resources (see Topic 930, Extractive Activities—Mining, and Topic 932, Extractive Activities—Oil and Gas). This includes the intangible right to explore for those natural resources and rights to use the land in which those natural resources are contained (that is, unless those rights of use include more than the right to explore for natural resources), but not equipment used to explore for the natural resources.
- Leases of biological assets, including timber (see Topic 905, Agriculture).
- Leases of inventory (see Topic 330, Inventory).
- Leases of assets under construction (see Topic 360, Property, Plant, and Equipment).
The new guidance is effective for fiscal years beginning after December 15, 2018, including interim periods within those fiscal years, for any of the following:
- A public business entity, as defined in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- A not-for-profit entity that has issued, or is a conduit bond obligor for, securities that are traded, listed, or quoted on an exchange or an over-the-counter market.
- An employee benefit plan that files financial statements with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Early application is permitted for all organizations.
To Learn More
- Read FASB In Focus—a summary of the Update.
- Read FASB: Understanding Costs and Benefits.
- Watch Why a New Leases Standard? —a video featuring FASB Members Jim Kroeker and Hal Schroeder, and former FASB Member Tom Linsmeier.
- Watch Putting Leases on the Balance Sheet —a video featuring former FASB Member Daryl Buck and former FASB Senior Project Manager Danielle Zeyher discuss how organizations that lease assets can apply FASB’s new guidance on leases.
- Watch Leases: A Quick Example of the Display Approach —a video featuring former FASB Senior Project Manager Danielle Zeyher and FASB Project Manager Lisa Kaestle that discusses the approach for recognizing operating leases on the balance sheet. This approach was specifically designed to allow preparers to leverage existing systems and processes.
- Watch the FASB Webcast—IN FOCUS: FASB Accounting Standards Update on Leases. The webcast provided an overview of the Update and the Board and staff answered questions submitted by viewers.
- November 30, 2016 Implementation Update—Board Meeting
- May 10, 2017 Implementation Update—Board Meeting
- June 21, 2017 Technical Corrections—Board Meeting
- August 2, 2017 Land Easements—Board Metineg
- November 29, 2017 Land Easements—Board Meeting
- November 29, 2017 Targeted Improvements—Board Meeting
- January 24, 2018 Codification Improvements—Board Meeting
- Leases—Targeted Amendments to Topic 842: Download the proposed Accounting Standards Update
- Leases—Targeted Amendments to Topic 842: Download the press release introducing the proposed Update
- Leases—Codification Improvements to Topic 842: Download the proposed Accounting Standards Update
- Leases—Codification Improvements to Topic 842: Download the comment letter summary
- Leases—Land Easement Practical Expedient for Transition to Topic 842: Download the Accounting Standards Update
- Leases—Land Easement Practical Expedient for Transition to Topic 842: Download the press release introducing the Update