Emerging Issues Task Force (EITF)
Recent Staff Announcements
Staff Announcements (List of staff announcements) made at FASB public meetings concern technical matters that have long-term relevance. Originally available from Appendix D of EITF Abstracts, the final guidance derived from these staff announcements is now included in the FASB Accounting Standards CodificationTM. In particular, all previously issued and effective SEC Staff Announcements are now included for reference in the SEC guidance section of the Codification. The FASB updates the Codification for all Staff Announcements shortly after the minutes for the meeting at which the announcement was made have been finalized. Staff announcements are effective as of the announcement date, unless otherwise specified.
- Topic No. D-1, "Implications and Implementation of an EITF Consensus."
In connection with the May 2005 issuance of FASB Statement No. 154, Accounting Changes and Error Corrections, this announcement has been updated.
Last Discussed: May 2005.
- Topic No. D-36, "Selection of Discount Rates Used for Measuring Defined Benefit Pension Obligations and Obligations of Postretirement Benefit Plans Other Than Pensions"
The SEC staff announced amendments to Topic D-36 to conform with FASB Statement No. 158, Employers' Accounting for Defined Benefit Pension and Other Postretirement Plans. Topic D-36 is included below in its entirety (additions are underscored and deletions are
Last Discussed: November 16, 2006.
- Topic No. D-53, "Computation of Earnings per Share for a Period That Includes a Redemption or an Induced Conversion of a Portion of a Class of Preferred Stock"
Topic D-53 contains references to AICPA Accounting Interpretation 44, "If Converted Method at Actual Conversion," which is an interpretation of the superseded APB Opinion No. 15, Earnings per Share. While FASB Statement No. 128, Earnings per Share, supersedes Opinion 15, it does not address the issues considered in Topic D-53. Therefore, the SEC staff announced the deletion of the references to Interpretation 44 and Opinion 15 and the addition of a reference to Statement 128. For convenience, Topic D-53 is included below in its entirety (additions are underscored and deletions are
Last Discussed: September 2006
- Topic No. D-80, "Application of FASB Statements No. 5 and No. 114 to a Loan Portfolio"
This announcement is being made available at this time in connection with the December 13, 2006 issuance by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Office of Thrift Supervision, and the National Credit Union Administration of Interagency Policy Statement on the Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses. That guidance refers readers to this announcement for an explanation of the interaction between Statements 5 and 114. That aspect of the newly issued guidance is not new, but carried forward from previous guidance.
Last Discussed: May 1999
- Topic No. D-86, "Issuance of Financial Statements"
Footnote 4 of Topic D-86 references examples included in previously deleted EITF Issues No. 95-18, "Accounting and Reporting for a Discontinued Business Segment When the Measurement Date Occurs after the Balance Sheet Date but before the Issuance of Financial Statements," and No. 99-11, "Subsequent Events Caused by Year 2000." Since these references were added as examples only and do not contribute to the ultimate conclusion, the SEC staff announced that the footnote would be deleted. For convenience, Topic D-86 is included below in its entirety (additions are underscored and deletions are
Last Discussed: September 2006
- Topic No. D-98, "Classification and Measurement of Redeemable Securities."
At the March 12, 2008 EITF meeting, the SEC Observer announced certain amendments to conform to FASB Statement No. 160, Noncontrolling Interests in Consolidated Financial Statements, which was issued in December 2007. See the minutes of the March 12, 2008 EITF meeting for an updated version. [Added text is underlined and deleted text is struck out.]
Last Discussed: March 12, 2008.
- Topic No. D-109, "Determining the Nature of a Host Contract Related to a Hybrid Financial Instrument Issued in the Form of a Share under FASB Statement No. 133."
The SEC Observer announced the SEC staff's position relating to the determination of whether the characteristics of a host contract related to a hybrid financial instrument issued in the form of a share are more akin to a debt instrument or more akin to an equity instrument.
Last Discussed: March 15, 2007.
[Download Topic D-109]
- Topic No. D-110, "Escrowed Share Arrangements and the Presumption of Compensation."
The SEC staff to clarify SEC staff views on overcoming the presumption that for certain shareholders these arrangements represent compensation.
Last Discussed: June 18, 2009.
[Download Topic D-110]
- Accounting Standards Update No. 2010-12, Income Taxes (Topic 740) Accounting for Certain Tax Effects of the 2010 Health Care Reform Acts
- Accounting Standards Update No. 2010-19, Foreign Currency (Topic 830): Foreign Currency Issues: Multiple Foreign Currency Exchange Rates
- Accounting Standards Update 2015-08, Business Combinations (Topic 805): Pushdown Accounting, Amendments to SEC Paragraphs Pursuant to Staff Accounting Bulletin No. 115
At the March 19, 2015 EITF meeting, the SEC Observer reported on the November 2014 issuance of Staff Accounting Bulletin No. 115 on pushdown accounting, and the plan to rescind three SEC paragraphs in the Codification concerning collaborative groups and pushdown accounting in master limited partnership transactions as a result of the amendments in Accounting Standards Update No. 2014-17, Business Combinations (Topic 805): Pushdown Accounting, which resulted from the consensus on EITF Issue 12-F, "Pushdown Accounting."
[Download Update 2015-08]
- Accounting Standards Update 2015-15, Interest—Imputation of Interest (Subtopic 835-30): Presentation and Subsequent Measurement of Debt Issuance Costs Associated with Line-of-Credit Arrangements
SEC Staff Announcement, "Presentation and Subsequent Measurement of Debt Issuance Costs Associated with Line-of-Credit Arrangements," was released at the June 18, 2015 EITF meeting. The announcement sets forth the SEC staff's position on the presentation and subsequent measurement of debt issuance costs associated with line-of-credit arrangements
[Download Update 2015-15]
- Accounting Standards Update 2016-11, Revenue Recognition (Topic 605) and Derivatives and Hedging (Topic 815): Rescission of SEC Guidance Because of Accounting Standards Updates 2014-09 and 2014-16 Pursuant to Staff Announcements at the March 3, 2016 EITF Meeting
SEC Staff Announcements, "Rescission of Certain SEC Observer Comments upon Adoption of Topic 606," and "Rescission of a Prior SEC Staff Announcement upon Adoption of Accounting Standards Update No. 2014-16," were released at the March 3, 2016 EITF meeting. The announcements set forth the SEC staff's decision to rescind certain prior SEC EITF Observer comments and SEC Staff Announcements made at prior EITF meetings as a result of the amendments in recently issued Updates.
[Download Update 2016-11]
SEC Staff Announcement, "Accounting for the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act," was released at the April 14, 2010 FASB Board meeting. The announcement addresses the effect the timing difference related solely to the signing dates might have on the accounting for the two Acts. The SEC would not object to a view that the two Acts should be considered together for accounting purposes.
[Download Update 2010-12]
SEC Staff Announcement, "Foreign Currency Issues," was released at the March 18, 2010 EITF meeting. The announcement provides interim guidance on foreign currency issues involving Venezuela in advance of Task Force deliberations of EITF Issue No. 10-B "Accounting for Multiple Foreign Currency Exchange Rates."
[Download Update 2010-19]